Should Greece apply visa to Turkish citizens?

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 08 Apr 2009, 02:40

Thanks for your kind words, Berke. Am I right in thinking you live in Datca?
I have no idea how old you are but does the name Halil Balikci and his boat Kismet 11 mean anything to you?
In 1986 I spent about a week in Datca, by invitation and was astounded by their hospitality. They would not let me pay for anything, food, drink or accomodation.
Halil was a real character, I have never seen anyone drink as much Raki and remain unaffected.
I'll tell you all the full story one day...
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 08 Apr 2009, 02:47

Adriana, when i was globe trotting in 86-87 the SA passport was the worst one a person could have. Closely followed by an Israeli one.
The holders were denied entry to so many countries or put thru a rigourous interrogation process.
The Oz passport is the the worlds most convenient.
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 08 Apr 2009, 15:41

Berke, you may find it easier to tackle Hattushu, the language of the Hittites who occupied the Anatolia area of Turkey umpteen years ago. :evil:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Kon » 09 Apr 2009, 02:27

Greeklish is the way i comunicate with my cousins in Greece. ;)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 09 Apr 2009, 16:39

C'mon Berke, are you in Dacha?
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Kojak » 09 Apr 2009, 19:20

Eleanor - sorry, I missed your last posting. Of course I'd come to your rescue! I'll need a minute or two to put my bather on over my trousers and find a red table cloth, but then I'll swoop down to save you... 8-)
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kon » 09 Apr 2009, 23:50

[quote="Kojak"]

Eleanor - sorry, I missed your last posting. Of course I'd come to your rescue! I'll need a minute or two to put my bather on over my trousers and find a red table cloth, but then I'll swoop down to save you... 8-)
[/quote]
:D :D :D
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Trailer » 09 Apr 2009, 23:52

Berke - where did you learn to write such good English?
Trailer
Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 10 Apr 2009, 02:50

I was thinking exactly the same thing, Trailer.
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Berke » 10 Apr 2009, 10:18

They taught me in school :)
Berke
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Trailer » 11 Apr 2009, 00:59

Really Berke? What part of the UK was that in then?
Trailer
Visitor

Postby MacDuff » 11 Apr 2009, 02:52

I have read all the responses with great interest. But, to revert to Berke's original question, I think that those of us who hold nationalities other than Turkish and Greek, would be ill advised to express a view upon the ACTUAL question. Dabbling in other nations affairs can be risky and one could end up being berated by the said Turks and Greeks. I was interested in the different fees said to be charged to different nationalities for a Turkish visa. Reason in my case to travel using a British rather than a Canadian passport. Some of the visa charges around the world are odd. Cuba doesn't charge a Canadian for a visa, but Canada charges a Cuban $75. Naturally, those countries which are favorites for would be immigrants and are subject to lots of illegal immigration, do tend to have stricter conditions for issuing visas. It is said in Canada that we have currently some 30,000 illegals within our country. I understand that the U.K. is subject to major illegal immigration. One reads of Africans risking tgheir lives in overloaded leaky boats to reach Spanish or Italian soil and the geographical location of Turkey results in illegals travelling through it to Europe. However, at least the U.K. cannot claim that Broon is a deterrent to illegal immigrants 8-) Or maybe the attraction is Boris :D I wonder what dear old Sir Mortimer Wheeler would have thought about the current immigration problem as he dug about in the Dover fortifications! Maybe he would have been in favour of building more Martello towers :) :)
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby MacDuff » 11 Apr 2009, 02:59

Why should they have all the convenience Kon? Make 'em speak Ausreeek :)
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 11 Apr 2009, 04:03

We don't want to get into the dangerous waters of an immigration debate. Bali charges $25US for a visa, only available at the airport and only acceptable in cash. Being perhaps beig one of the most corrupt country in the world (a photo finish with the Phillipines and Cambodia) one wonders where the cash finishes up....

Since this wretched Labor Govt under that Kenny look alike, Rudd (whos wife certainly does not look like Barbie) relaxed immigration laws "they" have been pouring in from Indonesia (wonder if they paid their visa fee?).
The odd thing is that they are predominantly strapping young males, well dressed and in posession of mobile phones. Why are they not in their home countries striving for whatever they beleive in?
The solution? Stamp them "Return to Sender" and send them packing....as I fear I see an agenda.
Genuine refugees, fair enough but these queue jumpers should be given short shift. Oh yes...where did they get the 000's of US$s to pay the smugglers? IF indeed they are bona-fide "smugglers" and not just boatmen.
Makes you think, eh?
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 11 Apr 2009, 04:09

Berke, I am afraid I am beginning to smell a very large rat.
You were profuse in your postings until I brought up my personal contact with people in Dacha and asked questions to their well being.
Your silence has been deafening.......
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Trailer » 11 Apr 2009, 14:04

Maybe he's away for the Easter Break.
Trailer
Visitor

Postby Berke » 13 Apr 2009, 09:13

I was a little bit busy so I'm replying all of you in one post :)

1- I have never been to the UK.
2- I even don't know what easter is.
3- I don't know that fisherman personally. Probably he owns one of those fish restaurants.
4- And yes, I live out of Datca right now.
5- I personally think that Turkey should demand visa from the citizens of those countries which have a visa policy against Turkish citizens. This demand should be at the same level of difficulty. Even though that caused some loss of revenue. The loss should be beared for the principle of equality among the independent countries.

Best wishes :)

Edit : Nevertheless, I wish there were no visa between Turkey and Greece for any reason.
Berke
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Berke » 13 Apr 2009, 11:56

Hey I have read the writings about hare and me in the other topic. The innuendo about my grammar and his/hers is not nice. He/she is talking about visiting Symi. If that hare were me, why should I complain about the visa barrier to visit greece? He/she seems to have no difficulty to get a visa at all so that he/she is making plans for that visit. I am offended! You are talking about me as if I were someone disturbing you in this forum :(
Berke
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Trailer » 13 Apr 2009, 17:56

Well Berke I for one don't believe you. You write English like someone trying to disguise the fact that it is their first language. As Abe Lincoln once said, You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time
Trailer
Visitor

Postby Berke » 13 Apr 2009, 18:29

Well I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I also can't get angry with you who somehow paid me a compliment. All I know is that my english teachers would be very happy if they saw those comments about my level of english. :) . Furthermore, I have never thought in my life that I might be accused for speaking good english. Excuse me but why and how should I fool someone by speaking good english. Or what might be the aim of doing so and is there any evidence in my posts indicating that I am trying to profit from anything in any way please? Ok I think I am done here...Bye all.

Edit : Nevertheless, if there is really a way of profitting from speaking good english in a forum, please let me know how :)
Berke
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Symi Chat